Friday, July 9, 2010

Music and Hope for Humanity.


Kelton with is Rootbeer



Kelton and I enjoying the band



Penelope and piglet playing with someones crazy neon orange glitter nails



Last night I had a ball with my kids.
Salt Lake City does a thing called the Twilight Concert Series. Pretty much it is a free concert/show in the park every Thursday for a couple of months in the summer. It is great because it is ALL ages and usually very relaxed. Last night they had the first concert of the season in Pioneer Park downtown. It happened to be one of my favorite bands, Modest Mouse, so I was excited to go. John and decided to bring the kids because we have had such success bringing them in the past. Our game plan was to have John save us a spot in the park right after work and I was going to meet up with him after grabbing the children. Due to previous experiences, we both parked at Trax stations and took the train down.
Kelton has never been on a train and he LOVED it. It was like his "awesome meter" went up after feeling secure in the train and letting go of gripping the side bar. I wonder why I haven't taken him on it before! Penelope hung in the baby sling the whole travels and I got to try all the cool sitting/laying positions with her.

On a side note, I would recommend the Balboa baby sling to everyone with a baby or small toddler! (I have breast feed and made lasagna at the same time before with this thing. Is that possible to do and sanitary? I say yes!... If you have mad skills. Ask Kristin, she is my witness)

ANYWAY... After the VERY full train, our little troop walked a couple of blocks to the park and saw the 6 block long line. IT WAS PACKED!! They say 40,000 people showed up. I tried not to get discouraged because I had a call from John confirming an awesome spot with blanket and water bottles waiting for us on the inside. After that some nice high school kids adopted me in line and from that point on it was like the Utah public welcomed me with open arms. John's cousin Randy showed up and carried my bag in for me and looked for john while I chilled with the kids (he is SUPER tall). To no avail, John was MIA and not answering his phone. I am pretty sure there was not enough cell towers around to handle all the phone traffic. Since I couldn't get a hold of John to FIND him, Kelton, Penelope and I just did our own thing.

List of nice stuff I noticed people do:
1. If people were smoking, they would back up like 25 feet from me when they saw I had kids.
2. Getting through a concert crowd can be rough and rude, it is like roller derby minus the skates. When people saw I had a baby, it was like parting the Red Sea. I would have semi-intoxicated people yelling at their friends to, "Freakin' move Bro, we have a baby coming through!"
3. When all was lost in finding John and our blanket, I asked to sit with a family who was set up right next to us. Then I realized it was a whole group of parents and kids and we were welcomed with open arms.
4. I remembered snacks for the kids but John had the water bottles. Before I knew it, Kelton was set up with a Rootbeer and I didn't even have to leave the blanket! (the guy wouldn't even let me pay for it)
5. People were so nice to my kids. I think Penelope is super cute and Kelton is cool and has good manors, I am also a bias mother. Apparently the general public are crazy about my children too. There were an abundance of people/children who talked or played with my little ones.
6. On the Train we always had a seat no matter how packed. Though there were 100's of people piling on, fellow concert goers were courteous and sweet in letting us get passed them and getting on the train.
7. Before she got off of the train, a really nice stranger made a note to tell me "You have beautiful wonderful children and you're a beautiful mother." After a long night of kid carting, husband looking, people dodging, it made my insides feel squishy sweet.

Another side note: My iPhone is an awesome tool. I use it all day for business, art communication, etc. One thing I didn't realize that was so useful for is, entertaining children. Penelope's favorite App is "Toddler Colors". The rules are, if you try and put it in your mouth, the phone gets taken away. Kelton's favorite is "Fruit Ninja". The rules are, if you drop it, the phone gets taken away. I know it is a risk letting my kids play with MY toys but it pays off when I am waiting in line to pay a fine or we're on the train at 10pm on a Thursday night.


All in all it was an excellent night. Kelton got his own pizza for dinner, because that is what ninja turtles eat. And I got to dance and see one of my favorite bands play. Modest Mouse was a great first concert for Penelope, she even danced herself. (back wiggling on a blanket is baby dancing, right?) I am not sure if it tops Kelton's first concert (Violent Fems at the U of U) but it is a great place to start.
It has been yet another result showing me I don't have to give up things I love and who I am to be the Mom I want to be.
Thanks for showing up for me last night Humanity, you give me hope.

Love, Mimi

2 comments:

Turbo said...

Sounds like an awesome time. I love hearing about people helping moms with kids. :)

Anonymous said...

"It has been yet another result showing me I don't have to give up things I love and who I am to be the Mom I want to be.
Thanks for showing up for me last night Humanity, you give me hope."

You are amazing babe! I love you!