Thursday, January 23, 2014

23/365 Jeni

I am thankful for my cousin Jeni.

"My dear cousin's battle with breast cancer ended early this morning. In one of the last real conversations I had with Jeni she started to talk about her children, how hard it was to watch them grieving knowing that her declining health was the cause of their grief. "I want to fix it, she said, the words catching a little in her throat, her eyes filling with tears, "but it's because I'm dying that they are sad and I can't do anything about that." She was quiet for just a moment before wiping the tears, and saying, "But it has been a good week otherwise, my meds are getting regulated so that I can keep some food down and I am sleeping better..." I just stared at her and then asked, "How can you be like this? How are you able to find the good in every situation, to stay so positive with all you are facing?" She answered, "What choice do I have? Sometimes I wake up and I remember, and I want to scream, but I don't have the energy, so I think about the blessings."

May I learn to bear the unbearable with the grace of Jeni. May we eventually find a way to accept the giant hole she left in our family, or maybe even somehow see the beauty there, as she would have."

Written by my sister Sarah. She is good at the words when they fail me. We will miss you Jeni.

No comments: