Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Curry-licious!

I am a big fan of most Asian foods. The Indian culture is so genius for inventing curry.
My favorite type of Asian food is Tibetan.
I used to live above a Tibetan restaurant in the Avenues of Salt lake and the family who ran it was so nice. I am not sure what i loved more about the environment in Cafe Shambala, the abundance of Dali Lama pictures or the broken english. One thing for sure, nothing tops their fried veggie momos, spicy potatoes, and lentil soup. I seriously could eat that every day if I had to. They have some pretty awesome sweet and sour tofu also.
Momos are dumplings stuffed with goodness. Sometimes it is meat sometimes it is veggies. Traditionally they are steamed and have a soft fluffy outside, I love mine a little fried for the crispy texture.
Today I went to Curry in a Hurry for lunch. It is a quaint Indian/Thai place that has KILLER curry. I spent 4$ for the YUMMIEST curry veggies in Naan. Who knew curry and spinach would taste so good together?
Speaking of Naan, Mom made some for Sam's birthday dinner. Naan is kinda like a pita but fluffier and sometimes flavored or sweet. The place in UT to get the best Naan is the Himalayan Kitchen. I think they have a brick oven they cook it in and you can get it like 12 different ways. Not to mention it comes with a plum sauce and some type of spicy mint sauce, that is right... spicy mint.
Since I really love cooking, I am trying to master some of these recipes. I am happy that the ladies at my local Thai/Asian market and patient enough to explain some stuff to me. They helped me pick out the best ingredients for my DELICIOUS yellow coconut curry. Last time I was there they sent me home with some type of spicy black bean sauce and ingredients for Pho.
Pho is one of John's favorite foods. Mostly all Pho has meat in it so I have been playing around with trying to make it vegetarian. I will probably report back on how successful my attempt to make veggie/savory tasting broth was this week.
Since I have to go back to work, i am not going to go into making sushi, miso stuff, wontons, stir fry or rice paper spring rolls.... but once again, Asian food rocks.
And it is SUPER healthy for me.
I guess this is the conclusion of my curry inspired rant.
If you are in Salt Lake and you wanna go hit up some yummy restaurants with me, let me know.

Post Script: the ground was dry enough so I rode my bike for the first time since October. HECK YES!!

1 comment:

jmccarron said...

I'm not in SLC, but I wanna go hit up some of those places with you. Maybe next time we are in town there can be some kind of superbowl of asian cuisine. Please keep us posted with any recipes you find that are especially yum + I want to know how to make naan at home.